Sunday 19 August 2012

#1: Packing? Get Cracking!

I am supposed to be packing for this trip.

But first I need to find a blanket that I promised my daughter in Saskatoon.  When I finally locate it in one of several identical plastic containers in the basement, I discover that it needs mending. Must fix that!  Must do it now.

By the time I've put my needle away I realize that the blanket search has torn the basement apart.  I re-stack the boxes and see that they are filled with an assortment of completely useless bits and pieces that I must have thought important at one time or other.  I am filled with a twitchy need to sort, stack and allocate.  I catch myself taking old paperbacks to the recycling bin. Wait a minute.....

Better see what I can use up in the refrigerator.  I start throwing out soups and sauces that will not survive abandonment.  I can't stand the grimy shelves and soon I am wiping them down.  "How's the packing going?" yells Bruce from upstairs. He, in truth,  is not much more focused than I am. He has just come back from a trip to the computer shop on the corner where he has been investigating laptops.

I recognize this behaviour.  It is the same impulse that drives students to clean their dorm rooms the day before the chemistry exam.  For some reason we have become packing procrastinators.   What is going on?  I can't imagine Columbus tidying the contents of his map chest hours before setting off for Hispaniola.  I'll bet Amelia Earhart wasn't cleaning her ice box before heading to the airport.

Perhaps packing for a car trip seems too pedestrian?

That could very well be, but nevertheless, I had better get started.  (I hear my mother's voice admonishing: "If you don't get a wiggle on, you'll still be doing that at midnight!")

All right!  All right.  I'll do it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment